We’re now accepting nominations for the SAVAC Board of Directors.
SAVAC is run by a volunteer Board of Directors, that is responsible for SAVAC’s management, budgeting, programming, staff, and the development of the group’s vision. Every year, the board is elected at the Annual General Meeting, which is open to all SAVAC members.
Election will take place at the Annual General Meeting on February 28, 2017 at 6pm. More info
Time Commitment: at least 5 hours monthly
Qualifications: No prior board experience necessary. Some volunteer experience with SAVAC is advisable, but not required.
Skill development, including group decision-making, organizational skills, staff supervision, financial management etc.
Awareness of/networking with arts and South Asian community organizations.
Improved employability as a result of experience managing a non-profit organization.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Responsible for the operation of SAVAC within the confines of our constitution, mandate and established policies. In most cases, the Board will be assisted in these responsibilities by staff.
Specific Board duties include:
1. Attending board meetings. Meetings are normally are approximately 2 hours in length. Additional time must be spent in preparation, reading minutes or other documents, developing your documents, developing your thoughts and completing
2. Facilitation and recording. The jobs of recording (minute-taking) and facilitation (leading discussion) are rotated among Board members in order to develop skills.
3. Budgeting and finance. The Board is responsible for financial planning and for ensuring that money is properly spent and that appropriate records are kept. The board works with the Bookkeeper and Executive Director to ensure fiscal responsibility.
4. Planning and Evaluation. The Board is responsible for visioning and setting the goals of SAVAC for the year and evaluating our success in reaching those objectives at end of
5. Projects and Programming. The Board is responsible for attending and supporting projects and events. The planning and carrying out these activities is done in conjunction with the Artistic Director.
6. Board/Staff relations. As employers, the Board is responsible for hiring and supervising staff, developing staff job descriptions, and evaluating staff.
*Nomination process: To apply, complete the application form below, and email it to Indu Vashist at email@example.com by February 24th, 2017, 5pm.