Call for Submissions
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre) is the only non-profit, artist-run centre in Canada dedicated to supporting South Asian artists. For over two decades, SAVAC has increased the visibility of culturally diverse artists by curating and exhibiting their work, providing mentorship, and facilitating professional development.
Our mission is to produce programs that explore issues and ideas shaping the identities and experiences of people from the region and its diasporas. We encourage work that is challenging, experimental and engaged in critical discussions that offer new perspectives on the contemporary world.
Subscribe to our quarterly to be notified about future opportunities.
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre) is a non-profit, artist-run centre in Canada dedicated to increasing the visibility of culturally diverse artists by curating and exhibiting their work, providing mentorship, facilitating professional development and creating a community for our artists. SAVAC was founded to be an organization staffed by people of colour, committed to support the work of artists of colour. We are always looking to work with and mentor new artists. If you are interested in working with SAVAC, please complete the following form. We will contact you if there are upcoming opportunities for which you would be suitable.
Exhibition Assistance grants assist individual visual artists, craft artists and media artists with costs directly related to preparation for a confirmed, upcoming exhibition. These costs may include materials, framing and presentation, crating and transportation. The exhibition may take place at any public site, providing that it is advertised and open to the public during specific hours. A letter from the gallery or exhibition organizer confirming the applicant’s participation is required as part of the application.
This program provides grants of $500 to $2,000 to assist individual artists with costs related to presenting their work in an exhibition. Submissions will be evaluated according to Ontario Arts Council and SAVAC guidelines.
Eligibility (Applicants must be):
- Ontario-based professional visual artists, craft artists, media artists and artist collectives who have a confirmed, upcoming public exhibition.
- For this program, eligible collectives are defined as unincorporated groups of two or more artists who create collaboratively and exhibit together.
- Collectives may apply in the name of the collective, or may choose an individual to represent it as the applicant. If the collective applies, OAC issues the grant cheque in the name of the collective.
- For a group exhibition, each artist must apply individually for their own expenses.
- Applicants must be Ontario residents with a permanent physical address in Ontario.
SAVAC’s guidelines are based on the following:
- Recommender for artists of colour
- Artistic merit and excellence
- Contemporary visual and media-based art practices
We accept applications on an ongoing basis, but please note that we must receive your application before the start date of your exhibition. We will jury the applications on 15 January 2019.
- Get guidelines from www.arts.on.ca
- Please set up and activate their profiles in Nova. There are instructions online here: http://www.arts.on.ca/grants/general-granting-information/nova-user-guide#RegisterAccount It is especially important that applicants applying as an artist collective set up their own profiles. They are considered “groups” in Nova.
- With regard to your request amount, please consider that you are eligible to receive between $500 – $2,000 in the 2018-19 program, which includes all EA grants paid from June 15, 2018 to January 15, 2019. Applicants may submit up to three Exhibition Assistance applications at a time.
- Complete the application form.
- Requests must clearly outline in what ways the grant will assist the artist in their exhibition. If you have any questions regarding the OAC Exhibition Assistance Grant, please contact our Programming Coordinator, Toleen Touq at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-542-1661.
- Applicants will be notified by the OAC about the results of their application.
Email Proposals to:
subject: “Exhibition Assistance”
Mail Proposals to:
OAC Exhibition Assistance Grant
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre)
401 Richmond St. West, Suite 450
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8