Call for Submissions
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre) is the only non-profit, artist-run centre in Canada dedicated to supporting South Asian artists. For over two decades, SAVAC has increased the visibility of culturally diverse artists by curating and exhibiting their work, providing mentorship, and facilitating professional development.
Our mission is to produce programs that explore issues and ideas shaping the identities and experiences of people from the region and its diasporas. We encourage work that is challenging, experimental and engaged in critical discussions that offer new perspectives on the contemporary world.
Subscribe to our quarterly for future opportunities.
Exhibition Assistance grants assist individual visual artists, craft artists and media artists with costs directly related to preparation for a confirmed, upcoming exhibition. These costs may include materials, framing and presentation, crating and transportation. The exhibition may take place at any public site, providing that it is advertised and open to the public during specific hours. A letter from the gallery or exhibition organizer confirming the applicant’s participation is required as part of the application.
This program provides grants of $500 to $1,500 to assist individual artists with costs related to presenting their work in an exhibition. Submissions will be evaluated according to Ontario Arts Council and SAVAC guidelines.
Eligibility (Applicants must be):
- Professional visual artists or craft artists
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
- Residents of Ontario
SAVAC’s guidelines are based on the following:
- Recommender for artists of colour
- Artistic merit and excellence
- Contemporary visual and media-based art practices
We accept applications on an ongoing basis, but please note that we must receive your application before the start date of your exhibition. We will jury the applications on March 9, 2018.
- Get guidelines from www.arts.on.ca
- Please set up and activate their profiles in Nova. There are instructions online here: http://www.arts.on.ca/grants/general-granting-information/nova-user-guide#RegisterAccount It is especially important that applicants applying as an artist collective set up their own profiles. They are considered “groups” in Nova: http://www.arts.on.ca/grants/general-granting-information/nova-user-guide#Setup
- With regard to your request amount, please consider that you are eligible to receive a maximum of $1,500 in the 2017-18 program, which includes all EA grants paid from June 2017 to now.
- Complete the application form.
- Requests must clearly outline in what ways the grant will assist the artist in their exhibition. If you have any questions regarding the OAC Exhibition Assistance Grant, please contact our Programming Coordinator, Toleen Touq at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-542-1661.
Email Proposals to:
subject: “Exhibition Assistance”
Mail Proposals to:
OAC Exhibition Assistance Grant
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre)
401 Richmond St. West, Suite 450
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8